(Updated 13/06/2023)

You might be able to claim some money if someone has died.

What you can claim depends on your circumstances and what your relationship was to the person who died.

If your husband, wife or civil partner has died, you might be able to claim Bereavement Support Payment.

Am I eligible to apply?

You can only claim Bereavement Support Payment if your husband, wife or civil partner died on or after 6 April 2017. You can’t claim if you or your partner weren’t married or in a civil partnership.

You need to have been under your State Pension age when your partner died - check your State Pension age on GOV.UK if you’re not sure.

It doesn’t matter what your income is, if you have any savings or if you’re working.

Your husband, wife or civil partner must have either:

  • paid National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks in one tax year
  • died because of an accident at work, or a disease caused by their work

When you apply, the DWP will check to see if your partner paid enough National Insurance contributions.

How much can I get?

If you don’t have children, you can get a lump sum payment of £2,500 and monthly payments of £100 for up to 18 months.

If you have children or you're pregnant, you can get a lump sum payment of £3,500 and monthly payments of £350 for up to 18 months.

You won't have to pay tax on any of the payments, including the lump sum.

Your monthly payments won’t affect your other benefits. If you still have some of the lump sum left after a year, it could affect the amount of other benefits you can get.

You won’t be paid your Bereavement Support Payment if you’re given a prison sentence. If you’re on remand, your Bereavement Support Payment will stop but you’ll get any missed payments if you’re released.

When should I apply?

You should try and fill in the form within 3 months of your husband, wife or civil partner’s death to get the full amount of money. After 3 months, the DWP will count your application as late. You’ll lose one monthly payment for every month your application is late.

To get the lump sum, your application must reach the DWP within 12 months of your husband, wife or civil partner’s death. If your application arrives after 12 months, you won’t get the lump sum.

How do I apply?

You can apply for Bereavement Support Payment by filling in a form or calling the Bereavement Service helpline.

You can download a Bereavement Support Payment claim form on GOV.UK or order one by calling your local Jobcentre Plus.

The form comes with notes to help you. If you need more help contact your nearest Citizens Advice.

Read through the form before you send it to make sure you've answered everything properly. Make a copy of the form if you can - you might need to refer to it later.

If you send it by post, ask the Post Office for proof of postage - you might need to prove when you applied.

When you've filled it in you should take it to your local Jobcentre Plus or send it to:

Bereavement Support Payment
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 2BS

You can also apply over the phone by calling the Bereavement Service helpline.

Make a note of the date and time you call and write down the name of the person you speak to. You might need these details later in your application.

Bereavement Service helpline

Telephone: 0800 151 2012

Back to categories
Report Incorrect Information

Quick Exit